this is my lover
Xiu Xiu - 20,000 Deaths for Eidelyn Gonzalez, 20,000 Deaths for Jamie Peterson
Xiu Xiu “Wild is the Wind” (Nina Simone Cover)
I wear this Xiu Xiu shirt I crappily silkscreened to my printmaking class every day. The other day this lab tech I really like (he went to a rollerskating competition under a bridge, how cool is that) asked me if it was Xiu Xiu as in the band, and I said yes. But then he walked away too fast for me to say anything else. I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT XIU XIU TO YOU LAB TECH. COME BACK TO ME. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Blue Water White Death - Song For The Greater Jihad
- Hybrid Magazine: Yes, well…the Fabulous Muscles cover: you have a thing for stuffed cats?
- Jamie Stewart: Oh! Well! Speaking of preschool stuff, that was actually a big part of my curriculum.
- HM: Oh really?
- JS: Yeah, that cat is named Dr. Phil, and I would always take him to class. There was like a group time, and Dr. Phil would always lead the story. And there were these two children that were totally obsessed with Dr. Phil. They would play with him for like three hours, in their own little world, which for children that age is…
- HM: Amazing.
- JS: Totally amazing and totally, totally, totally anomalous for children that age to be so focused on one self-created narrative thread for so long, and it was every day. And one day, just out of curiosity, I didn't bring Dr. Phil, just to see how they would react, and they were like, "Dude, where's Dr. Phil? What? What are you doing?" And it's not that they were lost, they were just pissed. [laughs]
- HM: [laughs] "How dare you deprive us?"
- JS: Right! I think they could just tell that I was just doing some lame-o experiment, which is all that is was, really.
- HM: That's hilarious!
- JS: And actually, I'm astonishingly unphotogenic. So, for that record cover we took over 120 pictures and all of them were terrible except for that one, and it was totally meant to be a joke. It was just like, "Where's the kitty?" It was the only one that was even remotely useable. So Dr. Phil saved the day. And actually, this is sort of self-serving, but kinda funny: the baby that's on the cover of A Promise and Dr. Phil are on my dresser, right next to each other.
- HM: That's cute!
- JS: Yeah, and the baby has his arm around Dr. Phil.
- HM: Aw.
- JS: [mocking] Aw! Aaaw! So cute!
- HM: It's your album cover trophy case.
- JS: Yeah. [laughs]
- HM: They're like, "Yeah, we were on an album cover! That's more than most of you humans could say, bitches!"
- JS: [still laughing] I wonder how they feel about each other. "My record's better than yours." "No, mine's better."
- HM: "Well, the critics say…"
- JS: [still laughing] "I'm not talking to you anymore."
- HM: "No one cares about the stupid critics; it's the fans!"
WE HEART IT